Friday, April 6, 2012

A FRESH Take on Passover

Passover 2012 / 5772

We’re taught that on Passover we’re meant to experience the Exodus story as if we ourselves had come out of Egypt…


Now this is a story all about how

My life got flipped turned upside down

Now I’d like to take a minute just sit right there

I’ll tell you how I was freed from Egypt and how my story ain’t rare


In bondage in Egypt born and raised

Brickmaking with my brothers is how I spent most of my days

Grinding and mashing and using all sorts of tools

Just minding my business and avoiding taskmaster fools

When all of a sudden God did something none of us could

And started bringing plagues to Pharaoh’s neighborhood

From blood to slaying babies eventually Pharaoh got scared

So Moses said “You’re heading into freedom! Go quickly bake bread to prepare!”


I started to bake the bread feeling redemption was near

But worried how to keep it fresh because the timeline wasn’t clear

If anything I figured unleavened cakes made with care

Would remain preserved despite extended exposure to fresh air


We crossed over the sea after very little wait

And we sang in celebration “Yo Egyptians, catch ya later”

Brought to Mt. Sinai, Moses provided tablets – a pair!

Now we tell our children the story so they too will be aware.



Wishing you and yours a meaningful and joyous Passover.

3 comments:

  1. Dan I love it! Thanks for this!
    Chag Samaech,
    - Emly Oren
    MohoPDX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will Smith would be proud!

    ReplyDelete